As we began the new year last week, it was nice to erase last year's numbers and start over.
- Once again, the US (+1.7%) leads against the World (+0.8%) and the World x US (+0.2%) for the year.
- Latin America led the world regions we track last week up 2.3%.
- Russia (+3.7%), Brazil (+2.8%) and India (+3.5%) were all up big last week. Maybe this will be the start of a new direction for the BRICs.
- After last week, the US is leading the G7 Countries up 1.7% for the year, with Canada close behind up 1.3%.
- Last year, Utilities and Consumer Staples were the best performers; however, as we began 2012 last week, Financials (+3.1%), Materials (+3.8%), Technology (+2.6%) and Consumer Discretion (+2.6%) are leading the way.
- Commodities had a big week last week with gold up 3%, silver up 4.3%, and oil up 2.8%.
- The euro fell 1.8% last week as the US dollar rose 0.4%.
Keith Hays & Justin Wood
If you are a subscriber to HaysAdvisory.com, click here to read today's World Wrap. If you would like to learn more about the research and commentary offered by Hays Advisory, click here.
Please see important disclosures at the bottom of this page.